Frequently Asked Questions
Please review the frequently asked questions below. If you don’t find the answer to your question, feel free to contact Modern Health KC via email, or set up a FREE discovery consultation.
Scheduling & Visits
What Are The Restrictions On Virtual Doctor's Visits?
Scheduling & Cancellations
There is a 24-hour cancellation policy for all appointments with Dr Howerton. Canceling within 24-hours will result in a $50 charge to the credit card on file.
No-shows: If you do not show up to a phone, video/telemedicine or in person appointment without notifying the office either via email or by changing the appointment using the online scheduling tool on the patient portal, you will be charged $100 to the card on file.
Billing & Insurance
I AM Not A Conventional Primary Care Physician
I am happy to work in collaboration with you family physician. The more united the front in your healthcare the better your long term outcomes.
We Do Not Bill Insurance Companies
The cost of any services provided by Modern Health KC which are not included in the episode of care fee will be billed to you directly.
Non-Modern Health KC medical expenses such as lab tests and nutritional supplements may be covered by a member’s health insurance plan per that plan’s rules.
Modern Health KC will not submit a medical claim to insurance on your behalf. We cannot assist you with claim resolution for our services.
We will provide you with a detailed billing summary that you may submit to your insurance for reimbursement. There may be procedures or lab tests that are not covered depending on your plan’s rules.
You may also apply any uncovered paid lab or office visit statements to your plans Flex or HSA account.
About Lab Tests
- Most lab tests ordered by a Modern Health KC physician will be billed directly to your insurance by the lab.
- Some lab tests we offer as part of our functional medicine testing program may not be covered by insurance and in these cases you will be charged a fee for a particular test by the lab or through Modern Health KC.
- The specific tests ordered will be personalized to you based on your initial evaluation with an Modern Health KC doctor and may include blood saliva urine or stool testing.
- We will make every effort to make you fully aware of any additional lab fees that may be incurred and to give you the opportunity to choose which lab tests you feel comfortable paying for.
- You are under no obligation to purchase any specialty testing.
- Should any lab results indicate you may need further testing you will be directed to continue your care with your primary care physician or a relevant specialist, or should you choose you may continue to work with your Modern Health KC physician.
- At home test kits: If a lab test kit is mailed to you by Modern Health KC, you will be charged the day the kit is mailed.
- If your particular insurance company only pays for blood work done at a particular lab facility like Quest, you must inform us of this in advance of having blood work done. Most insurance plans cover labs done by major national labs.
- Modern Health also offers cash based pricing on traditional labs for those who do not have insurance or would prefer a cash price. These are many times at 80% off the standard insurance based fee schedule.